Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Head of Corporate Services (04/17 KRT)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organizational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category :Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates, Finance, HR, Protocol, Visits and Events
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities) Main purpose of job:
To manage the British Embassy Corporate Services team to deliver a quality, value for money, service. Coordinate and manage the Embassy resources (staff, financial and estate) to support the delivery of Her Majesty’s Government’s objectives in Sudan. Maintain a high level of morale and operational effectiveness. Advise senior management on corporate services policy and best practice.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
•Provide effective supervision of the Corporate Services Team to ensure that all service teams deliver business-critical services efficiently, effectively, consistently and transparently to all UK government departments represented in Sudan. Oversight and engagement with all service teams to ensure delivery is in line with official guidance and best practice and that it delivers value for money for UK taxpayers
•Oversight of a budget of circa £4.5 million and the work of the financial team, liaison with the financial hub in Pretoria and UK stakeholders to ensure that the Embassy’s budget is effectively managed and that the processes are complaint with regulations and best practice.
•The Head of Corporate Services will be expected to be confident meeting senior government officials as (s)he will need to support the protocol team as the senior interlocutor with Government of Sudan representatives to ensure a strong effective working relationship between service delivery providers in the government and the Embassy
•Oversee the efficient and effective implementation of the accommodation policy for diplomatic staff, in particular meeting financial targets whilst ensuring staff morale is maintained. Engage effectively with local and UK partners to ensure the timely delivery of all Estates projects.
Human Resources (HR)
•Oversee all aspects of HR including liaison with the recruitment hub in Pretoria, the delivery of learning and development guidance, disciplinary and legal issues, salaries and terms and conditions of service.
Direct line management
•Effective line management of 7 officers providing guidance to enable teams to be empowered and confident to deliver their professional and personal objectives.
Essential qualifications and experience
•Applicants must have a minimum of 4 years’ experience of managing staff and teams and of service delivery.
Desirable qualifications and experience
•Arabic not essential but would be an advantage.
•Experience of accounting and or project management.
Required competencies Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline 2017/2/24
Grade C5 (L)
Type of Position Fixed Term
Duration of Post 24 months
Location (City) Khartoum
Type of Post British Embassy
Starting yearly salary () SDG 251 578 (paid in USD)
Start Date 1 April 2017
• Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
• Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
• All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
• Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
• Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
• Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
• Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
• Successful candidates not resident in Sudan will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
• Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
• The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.