Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Position Status: Full-time-Regular
Salary Level: (Grade- 4B) USD 794
Current Team Member: Vacant
Program/ Department Summary:
The Mercy Corps Europe Finance Department is responsible for
all financial functions in Khartoum, including accounting, payments and
banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial
management and compliance, The Mercy Corps Europe Finance Department ensures
compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps' Europe internal
policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Programs and other
Departments, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to
all departments, senior management and HQ to ensure that financial resources
are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direct
supervision of Assistant Finance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer is
responsible for all through Khartoum office financial transactions, compliance,
budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others,
etc. He/she is responsible for review of all Khartoum based transactions,
audit, supervising and coaching all Khartoum based finance officers and finance
assistant, prepare and monitor cash projections and cash management, updating
and tracking all assets and finance files. He/she is responsible to make sure
that all AAM, segregation of duties and policies and procedures are respected
as per the FFM, procurement manual, assets management and other
manuals/policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
1. Responsible for all accounting and financial management of all MC Sudan finance AAM and work flow transactions.
2. Provide financial reviews and review finance officers and assistants work.
3. Review advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, expense report, payment requests and other field transactions.
4. Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and enter or review to the accounting software.
5. Ensure/match invoices/receipts, completion reports with GRN and other required documents.
6. Coordinate and prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for all field offices, submit and make sure sufficient cash is available in all offices and monitor its use. Make sure also there is no excess cash.
7. Make sure surprise, weekly and monthly cash counts are being made and documented for Kampala office as per the current MC policy.
8. Make sure all cash, bank and advances are reconciled with cash counts, bank statements and outstanding advances and ledger.
9. Make sure ail income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
10. Collect and review all offices summary and individual staff timesheets and submit for payroll recording every month.
11. Responsible for monitoring costs as per the available grant and budget details, monthly budgets vs actual reports and monthly cash projections.
12. Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
13. Implement and make sure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
14. Implement and make sure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respedures are implemented.
15. Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Sudan and US laws and standard accounting practice.
16. Provide planned technical support, back stopping, coaching and training to all staff under her/his supervision and others.
17. Provide on-going orientation, training and support to all Mercy Corps program and finance staff on Merecy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
18. Review field transaction documents and in the accounting software before posting.
19. Do periodic review of systems and polices and make recommendation for policy and systems change.
20. Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
21. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
22. Assist other finance functions and offices when ever need arises.
23. Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Finance officers and assistants
Reports Directly To: Assistant Finance Manager
Works Directly With: Assistant Finance manager, DCD,
DOP, all finance team, staff, program staff, operations, logistics, human
Knowledge and Experience
· Relevant higher degree, BAIS or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
· 5 years' experience in grants and financial management and accounting and at least 2 years supervisory experience.
· Strong management Skills, Technical & Supervisory Skills and experience required.
· Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
· Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
· International NGOIPVO experience required.
· Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
· Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
· Excellent oral and written English skills
Willing to travel regularly
to Mercy Corps sub grantees field offices and project sites approximately 25%.
An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary, .An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Applicants should submit their academic and experience
certificates, CVs and national number to the labor office at Federal HAC no
later than 2019/1/20 Copes of applicants CVs and application letters only
should be sent by email to: