Bringing hearts and minds
Together for children
Job Title: Area Finance Coordinator (AFC)
Based in: Darfur Programme Area
Gross Salary: 8,592 SDG
About Plan International Sudan:
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International s one of the oldest and largest children’s centered development and humanitarian organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty particularly those who are excluded or marginalized with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income working in partnership with others and operating effectively. Plan is Independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations and is an equal opportunity employer. Plan International purpose statement “We strive for a Just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls”.
We engage people and partners to:
- Empower children, young people and communities to make vital changes that tackle the root causes of discrimination against girls, exclusion and vulnerability
- Drive change in practice arid policy at local, national and global levels through our reach, experience and knowledge of the realities children face
- Work with children and communities to prepare for and respond to crises and to overcome adversity
- Support the safe and successful progression of children from birth to adulthood
Plan International core values are:
- We strive for lasting impact
- We are open and accountable
- We work well together
- We are inclusive and empowering
Plan International started working In Sudan In 1977 and has a presence in four states our of 18 states, mainly (Kassala state, White Nile State North Kordofan State and Darfur State) and implemented it program via a Child Centered Community Development (CCCD) approach. Focusing on child rights1 Implementing programmes designed to enable communities to improve the lives of the most vulnerable and advantaged children and their families.
Reporting to the Country Director and with technical support from the regional Human Resource Partner, the Country Human Resource Manager will provide leadership and strategic direction for the HR function in the country program maximizing the opportunities to build and retain and effective team supportive of the Plan’s business needs while fully cognizant of the risks posed by the local context and the needs of staff in the changing environment.
- The position manages finance team of whom are located in the Darfur Programme Area and Localities The Area Finance Coordinator leads the financial services which have an average annual budget of approximately 2.5 Million USO).
-Provide leadership in financial management of Plan International Sudan Darfur Area as a member in Darfur Area Management Team (DAMT)
Key End Results position:
The Area Finance Coordinator Is accountable to fulfill his/ her roles and responsibilities in line with plan International code of conduct Child Protection Policy, Anti-fraud and corruption Policy and plan international values and principles
2. Business planning processes;
-Provide oversight of financial and operational management of the grant projects and ensure projects - accountability requirements.
-To ensure all grants1 contracts, procurement and commodity management in compliance with donor rules and regulations.
-Support Darfur Area strategic planning, work planning, and budgeting processes under supervision of Darfur Programme Area Manager and Country Finance Manager.
-Work closely with Darfur Pregame Area Project Managers and country finance team and fiscal agents on Internal and external financial reviews and audits;
-Work closely with projects finance/grants/administrative staff and sub-grantees to ensure appropriate Implementation of same.
-Leads and facilitate the grants budgeting In Darfur Program Area.
-Work with Programme Area Manager to develop methodology for cost recovery allocation, Ensures that cost recovery procedures are observed on a monthly basis.
-Reviews budget entries and disbursements in the grants Fund tracking sheets before approval of payment requests.
-Communicates Instructions and milestones within Darfur Programme Area for business planning including long-term planning, budgeting. Monthly forecasting and cash flow forecasting in accordance with the donors requirements and Plan International procedures.
-Monitors monthly cash forecast and cash flow for approved grants
-Conduct monthly meetings with project managers and accountants for financial performance review and audit follow-ups.
-Reviews of final grants budget proposal before submission to Country Office and Donor.
-Ensure financial due diligence of partners is completed as part of partner assessment processes.
-Participate in grants start up workshop in financial function.
3. Facilitates the capacity building of community based organizations (CBOs) and Sudanese civil society organizations (CSOs).
-Coordinates the design regular updating of strategy for the capacity building of CBOs, local NGOs, and other collaborators on financial planning and financial management, processes including internal controls in collaboration with the people and Admin and HR. Program , recourses mobilizations manger and risk advisor.
-Facilities and supports the implementation of the capacity building strategy.
-Carry out regular visits to the field to support CBOs, local NGOS and other collaborators.
-Conduct periodical monitoring and support visits for grant projects
4. Accounting and treasury:
-Monitor actual grant expenditures against approved donor’s budget line items and obligated amount, and develop budget modifications as needed.
-Oversee all aspects of the documentation of project expenses, including financial reports from project partners.
-Ensure accurate recording and timely reporting of Indirect Cost Recovery and Matching Fund.
-Conduct quarterly field visit for review of partners’ financial reports, provide feedback on financial reports to partners and verify that project partners have appropriate internal controls in place.
-Monitors and reviews monthly bank reconciliation, community advances, and outstanding commitments
5. Financial reporting and analysis.
-Reviews Program Update and Disbursement Request (PUDR) and ensures accuracy of figures and compliance to Plan and donors policies and Plan International procedures.
-Review periodic financial reports for the grants projects. including year-end reporting
-Review and finalize the grants financial reports and submit to donors In timely
6. Internal financial Controls:
-Maintain strong internal policies. Processes. and control systems In order to provide timely, consistent and accurate financial and budget management
-Develop internal controls review work plan and checklist customize to the needs of donors and Darfur Program Area management Team.
-Coordinate regular review of internal controls for grants project. Ensure appropriate financial’ controls processes. Procedures and systems are in place.
-Oversee follow up finance. related audit actions for the grants projects
-identify areas of internal control weakness and report s to Darfur Program Area manager and Appropriate managers
7. People management:
-Develop training plan for all direct report.
-Develop, coach and motivate a high performing team In the Darfur Program Area.
-Ensure staff has their Individual Accountability Plan (IAP).
-Conduct interim and final evaluation of direct report staff based on PMS guidelines.
-Conduct regular meeting with the grants finance staff
-The Finance Coordinator is based in Elf Asher and will be required to frequently travel within the
States to the field locations other PAS as well as to Khartoum
-Any other functions and responsibilities of appropriate nature to Financial management assigned by the supervisor
Dealing with Problems
-The role Is managed In a matrix management relationship The Finance Coordinator directly reports to the Darfur Program’ Area anger and she/he has a functional reporting responsibility to the Country Finance manager, Resources mobilization manager and operations manager.
- This requires the development of excellent working relationships and communication skills that goes beyond regular management relationships
- The role requires the ability to analyze data, qualitative indicators and reported Issues to determine key risks, adverse trends and the appropriate corrective measures
- The role requires knowledge and expertise on multi donor’s rules and regulations as well as Plan policies and procedures.
- An ability to arbitrate between parties and to find solutions to difficult financial Issues in an evolving development/emergency context is necessary
- Ensures that donor reporting requirements and plan reporting requirements are adhered to
- The post holder will over-See in building the capacity of Non finance staff and local partners.
-Regular participation In national and INGO finance network
- Responsible for grants projects level liaison with the external auditors
- Responsible for the grants projects level liaison with donors in the finance matters
- Work closely with Plan international country office staff on internal and external financial reviews and audits
- Work closely with fiscal agents. Project finance/grants/administrative staff and sub-grantees to ensure appropriate implementation of the grants project.
Qualification and Experience:
Education, Qualifications &Experience
-BSc degree ،n. Accounting and Finance, and CMA (certified Management Accountant) it is preferable.
-knowledge of Multi donors such as DFIF,USAID UNDP, UNICEF, ECHO and EC funds financial management rules and regulations and other key grants funds regulations
-Minimum experience of 5 years In Accounting and Finance
-Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
-Experience In financial management of large International development programs.
-Demonstrated experience and knowledge of internal financial controls and procedures.
-Demonstrated knowledge of Grants Projects reporting requirements and management rules and regulations
- Experience working with local organizations as part of Sub-grants /subcontracts.
- Experience with logistics, procurement or supply chain management highly preferred.
- Good command of written and spoken Arabic and English.
- In-depth Grant Funds financial management rules and regulations.
- Excellent communication, managements and leadership skills.
- Proven analytical skills in isolating priorities and tackling them.
- Ability to respond on short notice and plan and execute several activities at once.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines consistently.
- High capacity design, analysis and synthesis.
- Problem-solving ability.
- Search for completeness, accuracy and the quality of the program.
- Ability to perform extensive travel in rural areas;
- Promotion of Innovation and learning.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Orientation towards concrete results
- Clear and effective communication.
- Conceptual flexibility
-Responsible and energetic.
-A committed, supportive team player.
-Mature and trustworthy.
-Ability to remain cairn under pressure.
-Willingness to travel and spend time in the field.
-Ability to work in a sensitive manner with people from all cultural backgrounds.
Salary and Benefits:
Plan offers a very competitive salary and benefits package to its employees. The employee shall receive a net salary In United States Dollars at the prevailing exchange rate on the day the Salary Is paid per month In addition to the salary; Plan offers a generous package of benefit and different allowances including health insurance. Plan also pays additional three months basic salary every year to staff during key festivals “Eid Alfeter, and Eid Adha” and in the month when school starts in Sudan. Plan also provides a number of capacity development opportunities to its employees including Talent Management Program.
How to Apply:
The dosing date for the applications is 30th March 2017. Please use the title: Area Finance Coordinator (AFC) in your application. Please attach your relevant CV, a letter explaining how your skills and experiences meet the requirements of the job, and all your experience Certificates your contact details Including phone and email In addition to the names and contact details of two referees who know you professionally. Please note that one of the referees must be your current/most recent line manager. The complete application should be submitted to Joint Procedures Centre Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC) Labour office, Gamhuria Street.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Child protection policy:
References checks will be carried out In conformity with Plan’s Child Protection Policy for the successful candidate before confirming the offer. Plan will also request for Police Clearance report before confirming the offer. Plan is committed to implement its equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the national community; qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.