THE REPUBLIC OF SUDAN
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND FORESTS
ENABLE YOUTH PROGRAM
The African Development Bank (AFDB’s) ENABLE Youth initiative is a comprehensive program that builds entrepreneurship in agribusiness via skill acquisition and creates an enabling environment in which young men and women become owners of profitable agribusinesses. The government of Sudan was among the first countries in the continent to express keen interest in participating in the ENABLE Youth Program and requested for AFDB’s support. In response, the Bank has recently approved a grant for the Republic of Sudan to implement the ENABLE Youth Sudan. The objective of the Program is to create business opportunities and decent employment for young women and men along priority agricultural value chains.
SCOPE OF ENABLE YOUTH PROGRAM SUDAN:
The proposed ENABLE Youth Sudan will contribute to fostering and accelerating the revival of Sudan’s agriculture sector, thereby helping to increase agricultural incomes, create wealth and jobs and reduce poverty. The concept of agribusiness incubation for youth is not new in Sudan and the program builds upon earlier efforts to develop and expand business incubation in the country. The Program will contribute toward this objective by identifying innovative potential-oriented entrepreneurs who are willing to pursue business opportunities in agribusiness. In the p4ocess of doing so, the Program will engage all stakeholders along the value chain, thus strengthening the innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem affecting the start-up and growth of innovative agribusiness enterprises. The proposed ENABLE Youth in Sudan will strive to have a demonstration or catalytic elTect4 encouraging a new generation of entrepreneurs to enter, grow. And advance the agribusiness sector.
It is against this backdrop that the ENABLE Youth Program Sudan is intending to recruit the following posts;
A. Agribusiness Specialist
The agribusiness specialist will be based in Khartoum in the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests (MoAF) and will report directly to the National Program Coordinator,
Job title: Agribusiness specialist
Division/Department: National Program Coordination Unit, Ministry of Agriculture and Forests
Location of assignment: Khartoum, Sudan.
Expected Start Date: May 2017.
Duration of the Assignment: The contract is for a period of 4 years, renewable at the end of each year, based on performance of the incumbent to the satisfaction of the program management and availability of funds.
General tasks and objectives of the assignment
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator, the agribusiness specialist will create and implement strategies to establish and successfully grow the agribusiness incubation program of ENABLE, aimed at supporting the growth of entrepreneurs. The services to be offered include technical training in modern farming and entrepreneurship, business advisory’ and mentoring, access to finance, partnership and networking, marketing, various types of training, and helping to create a conducive policy environment for youth entrepreneurship. Access to appropriate facilities for technical and business incubation and relevant technical, market and financial information are also provided.
Duties and Responsibilities
In close collaboration and coordination with International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Technical Expert, the Agribusiness Specialist will be responsible for developing a comprehensive program of agribusiness incubation services to be offered to the young entrepreneurs. These services should include, but be not limited to technical and professional agribusiness entrepreneurial development programmes, including needs assessment of each entrepreneur, access Lo facilities, technical and business mentoring and coaching, personal development, networking and connecting, and access to markets/trade.
- Develop a strategic plan to advance the incubation program (pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation) objectives;
- Lead the design and upgrading of Youth Agribusiness Incubation Centers (YABICs) ; develop the operational procedures and governance;
- Assist in the development and strategic support in value chain development the design of agriculture, non-agriculture and agricultural off-farm market opportunities for youth that identify key local and regional market for youth;
- Assist with the intake process to ensure potential participants are serviced in a timely manner:
- Assist in conducting needs and market assessments for youth.
- Oversee the incubation centers operations to insure production efficiency, quality, service, and cost-effective management of resources;
- Lead the development and delivery of learning and training programs for incubation centers (modern farming, business development, agricultural entrepreneurship);
- Work with partners and other supporting players to develop incubation and post-incubation program that is adaptable to each incubates needs; develop the mentoring and coaching program during incubation and post-incubation, including the establishment of a network of coaches and mentors, experts and trainers and their engagement in providing capacity building services to young entrepreneurs;
- Provide technical backstopping to the state and YABICs focal points.
- Initiate and maintain effective relationships with private sector to provide youth with appropriate business support linkages for the development of bankable agribusiness proposals as individuals or as a group;
- Develop networks and clusters, activities and programs to create better collaboration and relations between youth, incubation canters, industry, banks, academia and relevant stakeholders;
- Facilitate youth access to finance from the Risk Sharing and Financing Mechanism (RSFM) of the program, banks and various other types of financial institutions;
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to the incubation canters, youth agribusinesses and foster opportunities for actors to learn from each other;
- Identify additional technical assistance needs among the trained youths and coordinate their capacity building In collaboration with M&E officer, elaborate monitoring and evaluation for agribusiness entrepreneurs and incubation centers;
- supervise and manage incubation centers performance and monitor progress through regular field visits
- In collaboration with M&E officer, support the NPCU in ensuring that the project’s achievements, key lessons and best practices are effectively monitored and evaluated, documented and communicated to a broad range of stakeholders
- Work with Project Coordinator to prepare regular project progress reports, built on monitoring and evaluation data and evidences based results.
Qualifications and Experience
The agribusiness specialist will have the following main profile:
- At least MBA, M.Sc. or PhD in agribusiness agricultural economics ,economics or development economics from a highly recognized university;
- Seven years of practical experience in agribusiness five of which must have been at a managerial level within an internationally funded projects or NGO. Experience working in AFDB financed operations projects would be an assets;
- Good understanding of agribusinesses and development of business plans.
- Demonstrated experience with training of trainers on agricultural related projects or program.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to handle multi-task and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish reports technical and policy briefs.
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation. He/she must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data);
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in a sensitive environment. He/she must be able to respond quickly to requests for information
- He/she must demonstrate strong interpersonal and motivational skills as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Strong computer skills including (standard Microsoft Office applications and statistical programmes such as SPSS, STATA SAS);
- Very strong planning, system development and organizational skills including results based management
- Capacity to communicate- effectively in English (written and oral).
b. Communication Specialist
The communication specialist will be based in Khartoum in the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests (M0AF) and will report directly to the National Program Coordinator
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF Application: 30 April, 2017
Interested applicants should indicate the position applied for and submit the hard copy of application to the address below;
Enable Youth Program Coordination Unit (PCU), Ministry of Agriculture and Forests, Elshaikh Mustafa
El Amin Street, North to Elshaheed El Zubair Centre for Conference, Khartoum East.
P.O. Box: 285, Khartoum.